Siemens SIMATIC CP
ICSA： ICS Advisory (ICSA-21-257-06)
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 6.5
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SIMATIC CP 1543-1 (incl. SIPLUS variants) and SIMATIC CP 1545-1
- Vulnerability: Cleartext Storage of Sensitive Information
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to read sensitive information.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of SIMATIC, a communication processor, are affected:
- SIMATIC CP 1543-1 (incl. SIPLUS variants): All versions prior to v3.0
- SIMATIC CP 1545-1: All versions
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
An attacker with access to the subnet of the affected device could retrieve sensitive information stored in cleartext.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens reported this vulnerability to CISA.
For SIMATIC CP 1543-1 (incl. SIPLUS variants), Siemens recommends affected users update to v3.0 or later and migrate the TIA Portal engineering project to v17. After migrating the project successfully, compilation and download to the device is required. See this product’s Siemens Product Support entry for more information.
For SIMATIC CP 1545-1, Siemens has not identified any additional specific workarounds or mitigations.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize VPN is only as secure as its connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.