Siemens Industrial Edge
ICSA： ICS Advisory (ICSA-21-257-21)
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 9.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low attack complexity
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: Industrial Edge Management
- Vulnerability: Authorization Bypass Through User-controlled Key
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an unauthenticated attacker to change the password of any user in the system resulting in the attacker being able to impersonate any valid user on the affected system.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of Industrial Edge, an app and device management platform, are affected:
- Industrial Edge Management: All versions prior to v1.3
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
An unauthenticated attacker could change the password of any user in the system under certain circumstances and impersonate any valid user on an affected system.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Siemens recommends affected users update to v1.3 or a later version (login required).
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.cisa.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.