Automated Logic Corporation WebCTRL, i-VU, SiteScan
ICSA： ICS Advisory (ICSA-17-234-01)
CVSS v3 8.3
ATTENTION: Remotely exploitable/low skill level to exploit.
Vendor: Automated Logic Corporation (ALC)
Equipment: WebCTRL, i-VU, SiteScan
Vulnerabilities: Unquoted Search Path or Element; Improper Limitation of a Pathname to a Restricted Directory ('Path Traversal'); Unrestricted Upload of File with Dangerous Type
The following versions of WebCTRL, i-Vu, SiteScan Web, building automation platforms, are affected:
- ALC WebCTRL, i-Vu, SiteScan Web 6.5 and prior,
- ALC WebCTRL, SiteScan Web 6.1 and prior,
- ALC WebCTRL, i-Vu 6.0 and prior,
- ALC WebCTRL, i-Vu, SiteScan Web 5.5 and prior, and
- ALC WebCTRL, i-Vu, SiteScan Web 5.2 and prior.
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow an authenticated user to elevate his or her privileges to execute arbitrary code on the system.
ALC provides support for WebCTRL, i-Vu, SiteScan Web versions 6.0 and greater. Those users using prior versions, including 5.5 and 5.2, must upgrade to supported versions in order to install these mitigation patches.
ALC applications should always be installed and maintained in accordance with the guidelines found here:
In addition ALC has released the following patches, which address these vulnerabilities:
- WebCTRL 6.0, Cumulative Patch #13
- WebCTRL 6.1, Cumulative Patch #7
- WebCTRL 6.5, Cumulative Patch #7 + WS65_Security_Update2.update
These patch releases may be obtained on the ALC accounts web site or calling Technical Support at 770-429-3002
- i-Vu 6.0, Cumulative Patch #13
- i-Vu 6.5, Cumulative Patch #7 + WS65_Security_Update2.update
The patch release may be obtained by calling Technical Support at 800-277-9852
- SiteScan Web Version 6.1, Cumulative Patch #7, and
- SiteScan Web Version 6.5, Cumulative Patch #7 + WS65_Security_Update2.update.
These patches may be obtained by contacting Liebert Services at 1-800-543-2378.
NCCIC/ICS-CERT recommends that users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of these vulnerabilities. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
ICS-CERT reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
ICS-CERT also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS-CERT web page. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available in the ICS‑CERT Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies, that is available for download from the ICS-CERT web site.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to ICS-CERT for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target these vulnerabilities.
An unquoted search path vulnerability may allow a non-privileged local attacker to change files in the installation directory and execute arbitrary code with elevated privileges.
An authenticated attacker may be able to overwrite files that are used to execute code. This vulnerability does not affect version 6.5 of the software.
An authenticated attacker may be able to upload a malicious file allowing the execution of arbitrary code.
Gjoko Krstic from Zero Science Lab identified the vulnerabilities.
Critical Infrastructure Sector: Commercial Facilities
Countries/Areas Deployed: Worldwide
Company Headquarters Location: Kennesaw, Georgia