Ecava IntegraXor Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
ICSA： ICS Advisory (ICSA-14-016-01)
This advisory is a follow-up to the alert titled ICS-ALERT-14-015-01 Ecava IntegraXor Buffer Overflow Vulnerability that was published January 15, 2014, on the NCCIC/ICS-CERT Web site.
Independent researcher Luigi Auriemma identified a buffer overflow vulnerability in the Ecava IntegraXor application without coordination with NCCIC/ICS-CERT, the vendor, or any other coordinating entity known to NCCIC/ICS-CERT. Ecava has produced a patch version that mitigates this vulnerability.
This vulnerability could be exploited remotely. Exploits that target this vulnerability are known to be publicly available.
Ecava reports that the zero-day vulnerability affects the following versions of IntegraXor:
- IntegraXor version 4.1.4380, and prior.
The successful exploit of this vulnerability may allow an attacker to crash the target system.
Impact to individual organizations depends on many factors that are unique to each organization. NCCIC/ICS-CERT recommends that organizations evaluate the impact of this vulnerability based on their operational environment, architecture, and product implementation.
Ecava Sdn Bhd is a Malaysia-based software development company that provides the IntegraXor SCADA product. Ecava specializes in factory and process automation solutions.
IntegraXor is a suite of tools used to create and run a Web-based human-machine interface for a SCADA system. IntegraXor is currently used in several areas of process control in 38 countries with the largest installation based in the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, Poland, Canada, and Estonia.
STACK-BASED BUFFER OVERFLOWa
This vulnerability is exploitable by using a command to load an arbitrary resource from an arbitrary DLL located in the program’s main folder.
This vulnerability could be exploited remotely.
EXISTENCE OF EXPLOIT
Exploits that target this vulnerability are publicly available.
An attacker with a low skill would be able to exploit this vulnerability.
Ecava Sdn Bhd has issued a customer notification that details this vulnerability and provides mitigation guidance to its customers. Ecava Sdn Bhd recommends users download and install the update, IntegraXor SCADA Server 4.1.4390, from their support Web site:
For additional information, please see Ecava’s vulnerability note:
NCCIC/ICS-CERT encourages asset owners to take additional defensive measures to protect against this and other cybersecurity risks.
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
NCCIC/ICS-CERT also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the NCCIC/ICS-CERT Web page at: http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/content/recommended-practices. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies. NCCIC/ICS-CERT reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available in the NCCIC/ICS-CERT Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B—Targeted Cyber Intrusion Mitigation Strategies, that is available for download from the NCCIC/ICS-CERT Web site (http://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/).
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to NCCIC/ICS-CERT for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
- a. CWE-121: Stack-based Buffer Overflow, http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/121.html, Web site last accessed January 16, 2014.
- b. NVD, http://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2014-0753, NIST uses this advisory to create the CVE Web site report. This Web site will be active sometime after publication of this advisory.
- c. CVSS Calculator, http://nvd.nist.gov/cvss.cfm?version=2&vector=AV:N/AC:L:Au:N/C:N/I:N/A:C, Web site last accessed January 16, 2014.