Datalogic AV7000 Linear Barcode Scanner
ICSA： ICS Advisory (ICSA-19-239-02)
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 8.8
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Datalogic
- Equipment: AV7000 Linear Barcode Scanner
- Vulnerability: Authentication Bypass Using an Alternate Path or Channel
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow a remote attacker to bypass authentication through issues in the HTTP authentication process.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of AV7000, a linear barcode scanner, are affected:
- All versions prior to 18.104.22.168
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The affected product is vulnerable to authentication bypass, which may allow an attacker to remotely execute arbitrary code.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Italy
Tri Quach and Blake Johnson of Amazon’s Customer Fulfillment Technology Security (CFTS) group reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Datalogic reports a new version of the firmware was released to mitigate the reported vulnerability. Affected users may obtain the latest version by contacting a Datalogic service representative or by calling Datalogic at +1 800 227 2633.
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability.