Siemens SCALANCE X Switches
ICSA： ICS Advisory (ICSA-20-042-07)
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- CVSS v3 4.2
- ATTENTION: Exploitable remotely/low skill level to exploit
- Vendor: Siemens
- Equipment: SCALANCE X switches
- Vulnerability: Protection Mechanism Failure
2. RISK EVALUATION
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to perform administrative actions.
3. TECHNICAL DETAILS
3.1 AFFECTED PRODUCTS
The following versions of SCALANCE X Switches, used to connect industrial components, are affected:
- SCALANCE X-200 switch family (including SIPLUS NET variants): All versions prior to Version 5.2.4
- SCALANCE X-200IRT switch family (including SIPLUS NET variants): All versions
- SCALANCE X-300 switch family (including X408 and SIPLUS NET variants): All versions prior to Version 4.1.3
3.2 VULNERABILITY OVERVIEW
The device does not send the X-Frame-Option header in the administrative web interface, which makes it vulnerable to click-jacking attacks.
- CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS: Critical Manufacturing
- COUNTRIES/AREAS DEPLOYED: Worldwide
- COMPANY HEADQUARTERS LOCATION: Germany
Siemens reported this vulnerability to CISA.
Siemens has released updates, which are recommended to be applied when possible:
- SCALANCE X-200 switch family (including SIPLUS NET variants): Version 5.2.4
- SCALANCE X-300 switch family (including X408 and SIRPLUS NET variants): Version 4.1.3
Siemens has identified the following specific workarounds and mitigations users can apply to reduce the risk:
- Only access links from trusted sources in the browser you use to configure the SCALANCE X switches.
As a general security measure, Siemens strongly recommends users protect network access to devices with appropriate mechanisms. In order to operate the devices in a protected IT environment, Siemens recommends users configure the environment according to Siemens’ operational guidelines for Industrial Security, and follow the recommendations in the product manuals.
Additional information on industrial security by Siemens can be found at: https://www.siemens.com/industrialsecurity
For more information see Siemens security advisory SSA-951513
CISA recommends users take defensive measures to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability. Specifically, users should:
- Not click web links or open unsolicited attachments in email messages.
- Refer to Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams for more information on avoiding email scams.
- Refer to Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
CISA reminds organizations to perform proper impact analysis and risk assessment prior to deploying defensive measures.
CISA also provides a section for control systems security recommended practices on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov. Several recommended practices are available for reading and download, including Improving Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity with Defense-in-Depth Strategies.
Additional mitigation guidance and recommended practices are publicly available on the ICS webpage on us-cert.gov in the Technical Information Paper, ICS-TIP-12-146-01B--Targeted Cyber Intrusion Detection and Mitigation Strategies.
Organizations observing any suspected malicious activity should follow their established internal procedures and report their findings to CISA for tracking and correlation against other incidents.
No known public exploits specifically target this vulnerability